Here’s how I put in on Facebook:

So, an Italian, two Frenchmen, two Brits, and two Americans run in the Park. They were all chatting amiably except for one of the Americans who was tired and unable to speak a coherent statement without having to pause after every third syllable. The others feared for him, as he was old and might fall easy prey to someone from a lesser club, and came back to collect him.

Alas. It was but temporary and after the passage of but one more mile he fell permanently off the back, never to be seen again.

Our ancient American, though, was not so easily daunted. He was determined to do a complete loop of the Reservoir on the bridle path before heading out of the Park at 110th, and so it was that alone and fearful he soldiered on, covering the final four miles in 27:52 and feeling stronger and stronger and younger and younger with each stride until he crossed 120th Street and his Garmin crossed 10.00. He could not have done so well without his smörgåsbord of mates.

(Paul Thompson identifies them all; in addition to him and me, we had master-pacer Sebastien Baret, Fabio Casadio, Pascal Lauffer (with whom I’ve had my share of Facebook battles but who I was quite happy to see, with him coming off a 2:51 last week-end), Charlie Baily, and Sam Lynch (the other Yank, who I had not met earlier but who was too fast for me to speak to much).)

I’ve noted before the strangeness of finding it more difficult to run with people than to run alone in that going at about the same pace alone seems easier. But as I’ve also noted I wanted to take advantage of the Warren Street run to get some quality work in. And I did. We run on the bridle path, except for getting to and from the Park. This eliminates the hills.

As an aside, last year I ran a number of times with VCTC with the objective of keeping things under-control and I was pleased with the way things went. But in the end I didn’t think it had quite my type of running DNA. I was miffed at WSSAC because I hadn’t been deemed  worthy of sponsor-shoes. And I may not have been given my limited-to-non-existent racing in the last few years. Another issue, though, was the betwixt-and-between one in which, as evidenced by yesterday, I am no longer as fast as I was only a few years ago. Then I could stick with the group, albeit for distances less than Paul and others did. And I would feel the runs. But Warren Street — which is really just the people — is more to my liking so I’m back.

I found out yesterday that I’m not strong enough now to do it either because I’m not yet in decent shape or because I’ll never be able to. It’s a sobering thought. Yet one deserving thought.

It’s not that yesterday was a disaster. To the contrary, I’m incredibly pumped by it. My splits were pretty even except for the one that killed me: 7:05 (not much of a warm-up there), 7:03, 7:07, 6:46 (that’s what did it, heading down the westside), 7:04, 7:15 (heading back up the westside so I’m thinking that was hillier than I thought), 7:00 (this is where I fell off and headed my own way but decided that while I was dead I had to do a loop of the Reservoir or that all would be for naught), 7:02, 7:01, 6:49 (this is heading down the hill by the Lasker Rink and out onto Lenox Avenue and then Fifth to Marcus Garvey Park, where I had parked).

Two weeks ago in the Park I did a solo (entirely on the roads) 8.5 miles at 1:00:06, a 7:04 pace. Last Saturday it was 1:10:51 up the BRP, for 9.57 miles (7:24). I had hopes to increase that to 1:20 yesterday, but it was a tad too quick early for that. At times, I thought I’d have to stop. But I held on by my fingernails and once I took the decision to do that loop of the Reservoir, legs screaming (I was overdressed in tights and a long-sleeve shirt, hat, sunglasses, and gloves), I took advantage of the slight downhill on the bridle path heading south above 90th Street to recover and from that point on I felt stronger and stronger so that when I hit the road again I was sold.


Not having done any speedwork in a while, I headed to the Bronxville track this morning. A 1.25 jog down. A little chilly, but compression shorts and long-sleeve were the order of the day. (I wore my WSSAC outers there and back.) Not sure what pace to aim for. Was thinking 6:30ish. But just let it flow. Lap 1 was typically fast but then fell into a consistent 97-99 pace so that I got in a solid 20:25 for 5000 (6:35 pace). Importantly (and the same is true of yesterday) although there were times when I felt the strain, I was able to push through, hold it together, and recover. This has long been an issue for me, especially at races, where I’ve too frequently taken breaks. I think breaks can be useful, but they can also become a bad habit.

I have the Scarsdale 15K in two weeks and the last time I ran it I stopped a number of times. I need to avoid that. These workouts are a good sign.